DUKORAL®Cholera vaccine (inactivated, oral)
DUKORAL® is the only licensed and recommended cholera vaccine in the UK1. Help protect your travellers against cholera.
- Licensed for adults and children from 2 years of age to help protect against cholera2
- Contains inactivated Vibrio cholera O1 bacteria and the recombinant non-toxic B-subunit of the cholera toxin (CTB)2
- Has demonstrated 84% – 86% protection against cholera, across 3 continents3-5
- A drinkable formulation which is convenient and easy to take2
- No special requirements concerning the water Dukoral is made with,either cool or chlorinated water can be used
- A booster should be given within 2 years for adults and children over 6 years of age and within 6 months for children aged 2 – 6 years of age2
- It is not contraindicated with any malaria prophylaxis
- Established vaccine with a proven safety profile
How you should administer DUKORAL®
- Public Health England. Immunisation against infectious disease. Cholera: the green book, chapter 14. December 2013. Available online. (Last accessed April 2018).
- Valneva UK Limited. DUKORAL® Summary of Product Characteristics. December 2015. Available online. (Last accessed April 2018).
- Clemens JD, Sack DA, Harris JR et al. Field trial of oral cholera vaccines in Bangladesh. Lancet 1986;2:124–127.
- Sanchez JL, Vasquez B, Begue RE et al. Protective efficacy of oral whole-cell/recombinant-B- subunit cholera vaccine in Peruvian military recruits. Lancet 1994;344:1273–1276.
- Lucas M, Deen JL, von Seidlein L et al. Effectiveness of mass oral cholera vaccination in Beira, Mozambique. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 757–767.