IXIARO®Japanese encephalitis vaccine
(inactivated, absorbed). IXIARO® is the only licensed and recommended Japanese encephalitis (JE) vaccine in the UK1. Help protect your travellers against Japanese encephalitis.
- Licensed for adults and children 2 months of age and older1,2
- Results in rapid protection from JE after the second dose (>97% seroconversion), providing a protective response that lasts for at least 12 months2,3
- Has a well-established tolerability profile in adults and children4
- Available as pre-filled syringes and administered as a two dose schedule
- Rapid schedule (for 18 – 65 years of age only): day 0 and day 72
- Conventional schedule: day 0 and day 288
- A booster dose should be given to adults and children 2 months of age and older within the second year (i.e. 12 – 24 months), prior to potential re-exposure to the JE virus2
- A second booster dose should be given to adults 18 years of age and above 10 years after the first booster dose, prior to potential re-exposure to the JE virus2
How you should administer IXIARO®
- Public Health England. Immunisation against infectious disease. Japanese encephalitis: the green book, chapter 20. November 2016. Available online. (Last accessed November 2017).
- Valneva UK Limited – IXIARO® Summary of Product Characteristics, August 2016. Available online. (Last accessed November 2017).
- Schuller E, Jilma B, Voicu V, et al. Long-term immunogenicity of the new Vero cell-derived, inactivated Japanese encephalitis virus vaccine IC51. Six and 12 month results of a nmulticenter follow-up phase 3 study. Vaccine. 2008;26(34):4382-4386.
- Tauber E, Kollaritsch H, von Sonnenburg F, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo- controlled phase 3 trial of the safety and tolerability of IC51, an inactivated Japanese encephalitis vaccine. J Infect Dis. 2008;198(4):493-499.